Changes in the Formula 1 championship regulations in 1961 (free-induction 1500 cc engines and 450 kg minimum weight) induced Ferrari to adopt F2 engines. At the same time, the single-seater was greatly altered when the engine was moved to the rear. These developments led to numerous variants of the basic V engine(first at 65° then at 120°). Cylinder heads with 4 valves and a version with a very short stroke were experimented. The direct injection system, with high pressure mechanical pump and in-cylinder injectors, is the most noteworthy addition (not yet on the car on exhibition, which carried John Surtees to victory in the German and Mediterranean Grands Prix in 1963).
With a similar car (same engine but different body and chassis) Phil Hill had won the F1 World title in 1961.
Presented by Enzo Ferrari, Maranello (Modena)
Engine: V6 at 120°
Capacity: 1477 cc
Max. power output: 200 bhp at 10,200 rpm
Max. speed: 240 km/h
Weight: 460 kg (chassis)